Now in its 54th season, the Volvo Road Institute remains valuable for newcomers and industry veterans alike.
Registration is now open for the Volvo 2019–2020 Road Institute, the paving industry’s premier operator and technician training program. Courses run November 2019 through May 2020 and offer a mix of classroom and hands-on training on a variety of operations and maintenance topics.
“Students leave these sessions with improved technical and problem-solving skills,” said Wayne Tomlinson, Road Institute compaction training specialist. “We love hearing from attendees who have advanced their careers because of this operator and technician training, as well as from employers who enjoy benefits such as improved machine uptime.”
The Road Institute again includes multiple dates to satisfy demand for the popular hands-on paving best practices course, “Paver and Compactor Operation & Maintenance.”
Volvo also continues to offer hydraulic and electrical systems courses specific to the Volvo P4410/P4410B and the P7000/P7000B series pavers, as well as soil and asphalt compactor product lines.
Sessions last two to five days each and are held at the Road Institute Training Centers in Shippensburg and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, and at the Road Institute West location in Phoenix, Arizona.
Course instructors share decades of field and teaching experience with attendees, including training on the latest DOT requirements. The paver and compactor operator courses also qualify toward NAPA Diamond Paving commendation requirements. The paver and compactor class with a Spanish-language focus will be February 11–14 in Phoenix.
Road Institute course descriptions:
- Paver and Compactor Operation & Maintenance – Two days of classroom-style learning plus two days of hands-on application in best practices, including an overview of Compact Assist with Density Direct™.
- Paving and Compaction Application Seminar – Two days of classroom instruction dedicated to paving and compaction best practices.
- Paver Hydraulic and Electrical Systems – Four to five days of training on the hydraulic and electrical systems of pavers with lessons that allow for hands-on troubleshooting.
- Large Asphalt Compactor Mechanics – Three days of maintenance and technical training for large asphalt compactors, including system functions, troubleshooting, and adjustments of hydraulic and electrical systems.
- Small Asphalt Compactor Mechanics – Three days of mechanical training for asphalt compactors under seven tons.
- Soil Compactor Mechanics – Three days of general service instruction for soil compactors.